Spring Time Mold Checks
Here are some useful tips for springtime mold checks:
* Check your attic and basement for leaks or water accumulation. Standing water can lead to mold growth. The sooner its cleaned up, the better
* Clean all surfaces where dust accumulates. Dust and vacuum your ceilings, walls, door moldings, window sills and the tops of light fixtures or ceiling fans.* Window treatments also attract dust and germs. Open your windows and check around them for any mold or mildew that may have appeared over the winter.
* Wash your bed linens, blankets and pillow cases in hot water to kill allergens and dust mites. Mattresses and pillows should be vacuumed to eliminate any hidden dust mites.
* Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter to trap dust and allergen particles.
* Check your kitchen and bathrooms for mold, which often appears in humid areas of the home. On non-porous, hard surfaces use a cleaning solution with a low level of bleach to kill mold or mildew. Just because mold might not be visible does not mean it is not harmful. If you can see mold, you can be sure that it exists elsewhere nearby. If you suspect mold contamination, have a mold inspection specialist test your home air quality.Good luck on your spring cleaning!